Sunday, March 17, 2013

AR09MH.52

30, Mid, 7, Green Polychrome, Dormant, Diploid, Nocturnal?
(Vanilla Gorilla * Isabelle Rose)

"Woah!" That's what I said when I saw this thing at 7 AM in the morning. I was kinda groggy, and seeing this thing made me think I was still dreaming. I knew that it was going to be big, as the opening bud was very long, but I had no idea it would be this big. I definitely see more of its grandparents showing up in the actual flower. It's almost the spitting image of 'Magic of Oz' but with a lot more green and far less white and pink. However I can also see a lot of 'Jerry's Whirligig' in it as well. Not sure which one gave it its form as they are both UFOs but its big all the same. Only about 7 buds per scape, but it has formed a nice clump and shoots up about 4(?) scapes per year. The petals dance in the wind, which I can imagine would look quite nice if it was in a garden that doesn't have about 10 other daylilies with just as large blooms surrounding it. A probable future, but i will need to make further observations this year. This year I am planning to make some hard decisions about my 2009 seedling bed. I hope to compost around half of them: which will have me torn between flowers. While nearly all of them are beautiful and have good qualities, I need to choose which ones stand out enough in the garden before registration. Overall, this particular cross has been very successful. I would have someone make it again (Mike Huben made this seed, as with all my '09 seedlings) as I got some real color variations from near white to pink. Posting more siblings soon...

Also brought a fan down the cape. It is now a small clump which, in 2014, was unfortunately ridden with a bout of Spring Sickness.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see this one bloom this year!

    Deciding what to keep and what to throw is hard: I solved the problem by giving away all my unwanted seedlings. That way I can tell myself that I could always look them up again later in their new homes. But I never have yet....

    ReplyDelete